Thursday, November 3, 2011

LeapFrog LeapPad

I've been debating which LeapFrog game system to get Kaitlyn Joy.  My debate was between the Leapster Explorer and the LeapPad.  The Explorer is cheaper, but a bit bulky.  The Pad has a built in camera and is the newer model.  Both use the same game cartrages.  This week the games and the Explorer are on sale at Toys R Us.  However, they have the Pad selling for the normal price, but with a game included. 
Last night I went onto the TRU website to pay for everything in my cart.  The game system had been removed.  Aaaaaahhhhhhhhhh!  They were out of stock.  It scanned all my local stores and said they were out too.  You've got to be kidding me!  I had it check my parents and grandmothers areas too and NOTHING!  Well, SNAPdragons!  I decided to just go buy the system without the extra game.  Sure it wasn't as good of a deal, but we would have it.  I went to TRU this morning and grabbed a purple LeapPad.  A lady came up and took one too.  While we stood there debating games a worker asked her if she needed any help.  As he turned to walk away I decided to take a shot in the dark and ask if anywhere in that big store they had a random box of LeapPads with the Mr Pencil game.  They of course didn't have a box of them, but they did have a bin in the center isle. Woohoo!!!  When the guy said yes and asked me to follow him I turned to the lady and told her she better follow too.  She was hesitant to follow until I told her a game was included in the box.  She then pointed out the $10 gift card when spending $75 or more coupon in the ad.  I didn't have my ad with me so I'm going back tomorrow to see if I can get the gift card.  If they say no, I will return everything and buy it again with the coupon.

Right now the games at TRU are the cheapest I've seen.  Target had them on sale for $19.99 a week or two ago.  This week at TRU they are $18.74.  I picked up Tangled which teaches spelling, reading skills, vocabulary skills, and creative expression.  Simply being a Tangled game means she will love it.
The other game I bought was Tinkerbell and the Lost Treasure.  It teaches addition, subtraction, multiplication and early algebra.  The best part is, it's geared to her age.
It was hard picking games.  They had a dinosaur game, Digging for Dinosaurs, she probably would go nuts over.  Pixar Pals, looked great too; it features Nemo, Toy Story and Wall-E.  It teaches ocean science, astronomy, logic and reasoning, and simple machines.  Cars 2 and Pet Pals 2 would be a big hit too.  *sigh*  There are to many options.  However, I love how they aren't just games.  She will actually learn something when playing them.  Oh, and online there is a game called Globe: Earth Adventures.  It teaches about geography, world culture, map skills, and animal facts.  I'm going to keep my eye out for that one in the stores.  Right now Kj is fascinated by dinosaurs, outer space, and geography.  She's actually really good with the latter.  She informed me last month that she wants to move to Guam and pointed at it on our huge map.  It's a tiny dot so I was impressed when she was within an inch from it.  We don't "do" Dora, Kai-lan, Scooby Doo, The Princess & The Frog, nor SpongeBob so that narrowed down my options, but goodness it was still hard to pick.  Right now they are doing a buy four games get the fifth one free, but you don't have to buy them all at the same time.  Actually you have to wait on #5 until the voucher comes in the mail.  I now have two on my TRU reward card.  When I get the $10 gift card tomorrow, I might pick up another game.  It would only cost me $8.74.

Edit: The coupon had a list of exlusions as long as your arm and electronical learning devices was one of them. =(  I went ahead and bought her two new games because they were a great deal.  I bought her Pet Pals 2 and Digging For Dinosaurs.  I almost bought Pixar Pals instead.  I figure if nothing else we should be having a free game voucher due us in 8-10 weeks so I can get it then.

No comments: